High school football is almost here, and Clemson is already lining up the kind of visits that can shape a class.
Several of the Tigers’ top 2028 targets have dates on the calendar, and the early read is clear: the program is spending plenty of time building those relationships now, before the season starts to take over everyone’s attention. TigerNet spoke with a handful of Dabo Swinney’s targets to sort out where things stand and which home games will bring them to campus.
Clemson’s lone 2028 commitment, four-star quarterback Trace Hawkins out of Calhoun HS in Georgia, will be back in town for the home opener against Georgia Southern. Hawkins, who committed on July 30, has also been helping recruit other 2028 prospects for the Tigers. He and Calhoun open their season against Jefferson and fellow Clemson commit Max Brown on August 21.
In the trenches, four-star offensive tackle Reece Wilmes has already locked in a late-season trip for Clemson’s matchup with South Carolina on November 28. He said he may come for another game as well, but that rivalry meeting is the one officially on the books for now. Wilmes, who is also the younger brother of Clemson freshman tackle Braden Wilmes, says the bond with Matt Luke and the program keeps growing.
"The relationship continues to get stronger," Wilmes said. "I’ve built really good relationships with the coaches, and I’m excited to keep learning more about Clemson and seeing where it goes."
On the defensive side, four-star defensive back Tyler Boyd of Carrollton, Georgia, is set to make another trip to campus after previously attending Dabo Swinney’s High School Camp this summer. Boyd’s offer sheet is loaded, with Miami, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon and others in the mix, but Clemson has stayed firmly in the conversation.
"Clemson stands high in my recruitment," Boyd said. "The structure and how they run things is incredible. I think they are due for a huge season this year."
Four-star offensive lineman Sam Walker is down to three schools - Clemson, South Carolina and Georgia Tech - and he’ll be in attendance for the Miami game on October 3. That gives Swinney and his staff a shot to make a major impression against the top-ranked Hurricanes. Walker said the contact has been consistent and the relationship is tightening.
"They are talking to me constantly, so I would say it’s getting stronger and stronger," Walker told TigerNet.
Another late-October visitor is Michael Martin II, who plans to be in Clemson for James Franklin’s first matchup with Dabo Swinney on October 24. Martin has drawn interest from several ACC programs, including Wake Forest, Duke, Georgia Tech, Syracuse and Virginia, with Cincinnati also involved. Clemson has kept close contact through CJ Spiller, and Martin said that relationship has been steady since mid-June.
"It’s going good," Martin said. "Since June 15, Coach Spiller and I have been talking and texting at least once a week.
Some weeks more. He checks on me and my family and sends me graphics and things like that."
In Other News...
Clemson's Offensive Reset Could Unleash These Overlooked Tigers This Fall
Clemsons offense is getting a notable makeover, and the ripple effect could reach beyond the obvious names at the top of the depth chart. Dabo Swinney has turned to Chad Morris, who is back in Tigertown after 12 years, to steer a reset that aims to make the group more flexible and harder to defend. For a roster always looking to squeeze more out of its depth, this kind of change can create openings for players who might not have had a clear path before.
Chris Johnson Jr. looks like one of the pieces that could benefit most, thanks to the way his versatility fits a backfield that may be asked to move in different directions from snap to snap. Christian Bentancur could also find a cleaner lane as a tight end safety valve, while Gordon Sellars III may get more room to matter at receiver in a system that sounds built to spread opportunities around. The bigger question is how quickly those roles come into focus once the new plan is put on the field. [Read more 🡒]
Clemson Still Has One Offensive Line Decision That Could Matter Early
Clemson got a little more clarity out of its latest scrimmage when Dabo Swinney laid out most of the projected starting offensive line for the 2026 season. The Tigers appear to have four spots pointed in the right direction already, with the staff settling in on likely starters at left tackle, left guard, center and right tackle, while still keeping an eye on how the group continues to mesh.
The one lingering decision is at right guard, where the competition remains open and the flexibility up front could still shape how the line looks when the season starts. Swinney has stressed how important communication will be in the opener, and that kind of detail matters when a line is still sorting out one final piece and figuring out which combinations give Clemson the best chance to start fast. [Read more 🡒]
Former Clemson CB Jeadyn Lukus Faces Another Tough NFL Setback
Jeadyn Lukus is still fighting to turn a foothold into something more permanent. The former Clemson cornerback has now been signed and released by the Browns after earlier being waived by the Titans, a reminder of how quickly the NFL can shift for players trying to hang onto the edge of a roster. He at least got a look in Clevelands preseason opener, where he made two tackles, but that was not enough to secure his place.
For Lukus, the path remains the same and the margin remains thin. He is still searching for a spot on an NFL 53-man roster, and each stop only adds to the challenge of breaking through. For Clemson fans, it is another hard chapter for a player who keeps getting opportunities, then watching them disappear before the season even begins. [Read more 🡒]
