The Reds have spent much of this season trying to steady a bullpen that has swung wildly from one extreme to the other. In April, Cincinnati’s relief corps was the best in Major League Baseball.
By the stretch from May through the All-Star break, it had become the worst in the sport. Right now, the club says it has only two relievers it trusts, and one of them has been locked in during August.
That arm belongs to Mey, who came back up from Triple-A Louisville on August 5 after posting a 3.00 ERA in 13 2/3 innings there. The strikeouts and damage prevention were there, but so were the walks - 12 of them - even as opponents managed only a .200 average against him.
Since rejoining the Reds, though, he has looked like a different pitcher. In 8 2/3 innings, he has not given up a run and has issued just one walk.
Reds manager Terry Francona sounded genuinely impressed when he discussed the right-hander on MLB Network Radio on Tuesday.
"What they did in Triple-A was they started him," Francona said, "so he could pitch a little bit and not just come out of the bullpen and throw as hard as he can for one inning. I really think that helped.
The command of his fastball is vastly improving. Yesterday, he threw some 98, 99’s that looked like bowling balls.
When you've got that much movement and you're throwing strikes, it can get pretty special."
Francona also pointed to the importance of Mey learning how to repeat his delivery.
"Backing it up in our game is huge," Francona said. “He’s started to do that now three, four times. If this stays here, we're going to be really thrilled."
That kind of praise marks a real turnaround from where Mey stood earlier this season. He did not break camp with the active roster because his command was off and opponents hit .324 against him.
The Reds optioned him to Triple-A, then recalled him on April 29. That outing lasted two innings, and the only hit he allowed was a home run.
He found some footing in May, giving up five hits in 6 1/3 innings, but the walks never stopped - at least one in every appearance, six total for the month.
Cincinnati sent him back down on May 17, brought him up again on June 2, then optioned him once more on June 7. He spent the next month working in Triple-A before returning in August.
The raw stuff has never been the question. Mey threw the fastest pitch ever recorded in the Reds’ High-A affiliate’s ballpark history, reaching 103 miles per hour in 2024.
That same offseason, Cincinnati protected him from the Rule 5 draft by adding him to the 40-man roster. He made his major league debut on May 1, 2025, striking out a batter in a clean inning without allowing a hit or a walk.
Over his first 11 appearances, he allowed only two runs.
For all the heat on the radar gun, the issue has always come back to command. That has limited his ability to stick in the majors so far.
But if this current run holds, the Reds could start using him in higher-leverage spots. And if he handles those chances, he could enter Spring Training next season as a real closer candidate.
In Other News...
Reds Bullpen Churn Continues As Another New Arm Already Disappears
The Reds bullpen shuffle keeps rolling, and one of the newer additions is already out of the picture. Cincinnati brought in former Padres right-hander Ron Marinaccio to help stabilize the relief mix, but his time with the club was brief, as he was designated for assignment after only a handful of outings. It was the kind of quick turnaround that has become familiar for a pen that has seen a steady churn of arms trying to find a foothold.
Marinaccios departure leaves the Reds back at square one in that spot, with the roster spot opening as quickly as it was filled. Former Padres pitcher Matt Waldron is in a similar position with Toronto after being designated for assignment following four appearances, a reminder of how fragile these bullpen stops can be. For Cincinnati, the larger issue is not just losing a reliever, but doing so before there was any real chance to see whether the fit could last. [Read more 🡒]
Jeff Brantley Just Fired Up The Sal Stewart Rookie Debate
The National League Rookie of the Year conversation has become one of the more interesting late-season debates for the Reds, and Sal Stewart has put himself right in the middle of it. Cincinnatis rookie has been compared constantly with Cardinals infielder JJ Wetherholt, with the argument splitting along familiar lines: Stewarts bat versus Wetherholts work on the other side of the ball. It is the kind of race that invites strong opinions, especially when one of the voices weighing in happens to be on the Reds broadcast.
Jeff Brantley made his stance clear during a recent game broadcast, favoring Stewarts offensive production over Wetherholts defensive profile and adding another layer to a discussion that already has Reds fans talking. The debate has only grown louder as the season has gone on, with commentators and viewers trying to figure out whether the award should reward the more complete overall player or the one bringing the bigger impact at the plate. [Read more 🡒]
TJ Friedl Has Become A Real Reds Offseason Problem
TJ Friedl entered the 2026 season as one of the more established pieces in Cincinnatis outfield, but the year has gone sideways in a hurry. After a far more productive 2025, his bat has backed up sharply, with less contact and far less pop than the Reds expected from him, and the club already tried sending him to Triple-A Louisville in an effort to help him find something closer to his old form.
Instead, the situation has only deepened the Reds winter dilemma. Friedl is no longer a simple lineup puzzle, because the organization has younger outfielders pushing for chances and more flexibility if it decides to move on from him, which means his place on the roster is suddenly tied to a much bigger offseason decision than anyone would have imagined a year ago. [Read more 🡒]
