Trevor Storys Return Could Give Red Sox A Late Infield Lift

As Trevor Story eagerly progresses in his rehab assignment, the Red Sox shortstop is poised to rejoin an unexpectedly dominant team eager for his return.

Trevor Story is moving closer to a Red Sox return, and Worcester is the next stop on the path back.

The shortstop finished a rehab assignment with Triple-A Worcester on Sunday, August 16, logging four innings while Boston was losing to the Pirates 8-3. Story chipped in a single and handled a lineout defensively, a solid step as he works his way back from the sports hernia injury that has kept him sidelined since May 14 and required surgery.

He’s scheduled to start at shortstop again for Worcester on Tuesday, another checkpoint before Boston decides he’s ready to rejoin the big league club. Story has played in just 41 games this season and was hitting .206 when the injury interrupted his year.

The Red Sox, meanwhile, have gone from the bottom to the top during his absence. Boston has put together multiple winning streaks, including a 15-game run in July, and while August hasn’t been as kind, the club still sits atop the Wild Card standings and leads the Rays by 8.5 games in the AL East.

Story says he’s looking forward to being part of it again.

"I think we’ve shown what we can do, and we have some more key pieces coming back, so I’m excited about that. Excited to fit back into the mix, and the boys are playing well, and I’m proud of the way that we’ve turned this around," Story said to Worcester T&G Sports via Heavy.

Boston signed Story to a six-year, $140 million contract in 2022, and his best season with the club came in 2025, when he played 157 games, hit 25 home runs and posted a .263/.308/.433 line. That was the first time he had reached that many games since 2018. Before the injury this year, Story had already hit three home runs.

The Red Sox will also have Isiah Kiner-Falefa in Worcester on Wednesday, and the club plans to sort out the alignment from there. Interim manager Chad Tracy said Boston expects Story to handle shortstop while Kiner-Falefa works at second, at least for now.

“I think Trevor's going to do mostly short,” interim manager Chad Tracy said via MLB.com. “[Kiner-Falefa’s] first game, I think, he is scheduled to play second. But we'll stay in touch with both those guys as we move along and make sure we're seeing how they're feeling.

“But I think that's the plan right now. Trevor's playing short. Izzy will play some second, and then we'll adjust if needed.”

In Other News...

Rafael Devers Returns To Fenway With Red Sox Fans Still Divided

Rafael Devers is headed back to Fenway Park for the first time since the Red Sox shipped him to San Francisco, and the reaction around Boston is shaping up to be every bit as layered as the breakup itself. The move still hangs over the organization because of the way it unfolded, with reports that some inside the Red Sox viewed Devers as immature and selfish adding another charge to a trade that already split opinion.

Boston has played better since parting ways with its longtime slugger, which only sharpens the debate over what the trade said about the clubhouse, the front office and the clubs long-term direction. A recent look at Giants president Bosey Poseys legacy even took aim at the deal from San Franciscos side, and now Devers Fenway return brings all of those questions back into the same building, with fans likely to greet him in more than one way. [Read more 🡒]

Red Sox Are Already Waiting On The Deadline Bat They Needed

Several contenders tried to buy a late-summer boost at the trade deadline, but the first wave of returns has been uneven at best. The Yankees and Mariners were hoping their new additions would settle in quickly, while Boston was looking for the same kind of immediate lift from its own deadline bat, a move made with the postseason in mind and a clear need to deepen the lineup.

Instead, the Red Sox are still waiting for that payoff, and the early trouble has only sharpened the risk of the deal. Boston sent left-hander Connelly Early to Washington to get Mead, but the bat the club targeted was slowed almost immediately after arriving, leaving the front office and dugout to keep looking for the impact they expected when they made the move. [Read more 🡒]

Trevor Storys Return Could Force A Big Red Sox Decision

Trevor Story is closing in on a return for the Red Sox, and the timing has started to matter as much as the comeback itself. The shortstop is expected back soon, with Boston still waiting for confirmation on exactly when hell be ready to go after working through his next few days on the schedule.

Story said he will be in Syracuse on Tuesday and Wednesday, then plans to gauge how he feels after Thursdays off day. That leaves the Red Sox in the familiar spot of preparing for a key players return while also weighing what it means for the rest of the roster, with the possibility of a weekend comeback now squarely in the conversation. [Read more 🡒]