Red Sox Suddenly Have A Lineup Problem They Can't Keep Ignoring

After a remarkable winning streak, the Boston Red Sox face pitching challenges and dwindling offensive stats that have led to their steep drop in the MLB power rankings.

The Red Sox’s summer run has hit a rough patch, and MLB.com’s latest power rankings show it. Boston slipped one spot to No. 7 after losing seven of its last nine games, a dip that came right on the heels of a blistering 27-3 stretch that stood as the best 30-game run in franchise history.

What makes the downturn sting is how fast the tone changed. The Red Sox had looked untouchable for a while, then went 2-5 on the road trip that ended Sunday with an 8-3 loss to the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park.

Patrick Sandoval was hit hard, giving up seven runs in four innings, and Boston’s bats were quiet for most of the afternoon. The club finished with five hits and struck out 13 times.

Connor Wong provided the lone loud swing, crushing a three-run homer in the fifth. Even that didn’t spark much of a rally, and a two-hour, 34-minute weather delay helped drain whatever momentum was left.

The offensive numbers over the last nine games explain the slide. Boston has averaged just 3.56 runs in that span, while posting a .236/.323/.350 line with six homers and a .673 OPS. Still, interim manager Chad Tracy doesn’t see this as the same issue that had dogged the club earlier in the season.

“I do feel like, before the hot streak, there were plenty of games where we weren’t even really generating a ton of traffic for a good chunk of the game,” Tracy said. “So I still think we’re doing a much better job as far as swing decisions and getting people out there. We just gotta get them in, and we will.”

The walk rate backs that up, at least a little. Boston has kept an 11 percent walk rate over its last nine games, which suggests the lineup is still finding ways on base.

The problem is what happens next. On Sunday, the Red Sox went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position.

Wong’s homer accounted for all three runs, and the first three hitters in the order combined to go 0-for-10 with six strikeouts.

One of the bigger storylines is Adley Rutschman, who has had a quiet start since coming over in a trade with the Baltimore Orioles. Through five games with Boston, the former No. 1 overall pick is 1-for-17 with five walks and nine strikeouts. He had been dealing with left wrist inflammation before the trade and appeared in only two minor league rehab games before being activated.

“I think the competitor in me, I want to go out there and perform,” Rutschman said. “Bottom line: I want to perform for these guys and come out here and be able to do what I do.”

Rutschman is set to make his Fenway Park debut Monday when the Red Sox open a three-game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Boston could use a lift. The lineup is already without Masataka Yoshida, Roman Anthony, Trevor Story and Triston Casas, which makes the timing of Rutschman’s arrival even more important. Even with the recent skid, the Red Sox are still 66-58 and in third place in the American League East, and MLB.com’s ranking still reflects the season as a whole rather than treating nine games as a full reset.

There was at least one bright spot over the weekend: Sonny Gray picked up his career-high 15th win with a scoreless outing against Pittsburgh, a performance that further bolstered his American League Cy Young Award case.

The Red Sox have the pitching and enough offensive talent to steady themselves. But the margin has shrunk, and Tracy’s message remains the same: the chances are still there.

In Other News...

Red Sox Just Got Clarity On Aroldis Chapmans Future

Aroldis Chapman has given the Red Sox some welcome stability in the bullpen, and his season has made the contract conversation pretty simple for the front office. By handling a meaningful workload and staying one of the leagues most effective late-inning arms, Chapman has continued to look like exactly the kind of veteran anchor Boston hoped it was getting.

His performance has already put him tied for fifth in saves with 27 and sitting on a 2.04 ERA, but the bigger takeaway for Boston is that his future is no longer murky. Chapman is set to be signed for next season, and the contract now carries the kind of longer-term clarity teams usually only get when a reliever keeps delivering deep into a season. [Read more 🡒]

Red Sox Suddenly Face A Bigger Masataka Yoshida Concern

Masataka Yoshidas night against the Pirates ended early after he came up hobbling on a double, a troubling sight for a Red Sox lineup that has leaned on his bat when healthy. Boston is now waiting on tests to learn how serious the leg injury is, with the early read pointing toward a hamstring issue that could complicate the clubs plans in the coming days.

Anthony Seigler stepped in as the pinch-runner and took over at designated hitter, a reminder of how quickly one injury can ripple through a roster. Depending on Yoshidas recovery and the status of other players working back from rehab, the Red Sox may have to weigh additional roster moves before long. [Read more 🡒]

Alex Cora Just Hinted His Next Chapter May Be Coming

When the Red Sox moved on from Alex Cora after that rough 10-17 start to the 2026 season, it looked like the end of one chapter and the start of another in Boston. Chad Tracys run as interim manager has steadied the club, and the turnaround has the Red Sox sitting in strong shape for the postseason, which only sharpens the focus on what comes next for the man who once held the job.

Cora is not planning an immediate return to coaching, but he also is not sounding like someone who sees this as a closed door. He has remained open to future opportunities, even after turning down a managerial chance with the Phillies in order to spend more time with his family, and that leaves his next move more in the realm of waiting than wondering. [Read more 🡒]