Jake Rogers didn’t spend much time in Boston, but he didn’t leave with any hard feelings either.
The veteran catcher, now with the Chicago White Sox after landing a backup role on a waiver claim last week, said this week that he understood why the Red Sox moved on from him once Adley Rutschman returned from the injured list. Boston had acquired the three-time All-Star in the Aug. 3 blockbuster, and Rogers was the natural roster casualty when the club needed to make room on Aug. 11.
“Obviously, when the trade happened with Adley, I knew [I was] just playing the game for a little bit. I figured that once he came back, they had to make a move and it seemed like I was a choice,” Rogers said, per Jason Beck of MLB.com. "Breslow and everybody in Boston couldn't have been nicer and handled the whole situation perfectly.”
Rogers’ path through the summer has been a whirlwind. The Detroit Tigers designated him for assignment in mid-July, and over the next three weeks he wound up with four different teams. Boston was just one stop in that run, but it still gave him a brief chance to contribute.
In only three games with the Red Sox, Rogers went 3-for-6. That was two more hits than Rutschman had in his first five games with Boston. Rogers also delivered a big moment on Aug. 6, driving in the game-tying run in extra innings against the Chicago White Sox in a 12-11 win in 13 innings, the kind of wild finish that can stick with a player even after he’s gone.
Even so, the Red Sox were never likely to hand Rogers the backup catcher job over Connor Wong. Boston already had a more established option behind Rutschman, and overhauling the catching group that deep into the season would have been a major shakeup. Wong also had the stronger overall season.
So Rogers’ stint in Boston ended the way it probably had to. But for a brief stretch, he made it count.
In Other News...
Red Sox Bullpen Stress Just Forced Another Tough Roster Move
Bostons bullpen has been taxed enough that the Red Sox had to reach back to Triple-A for another arm, turning to Wyatt Olds as the pitching staff continues to absorb the wear of recent exhaustion and injuries. Olds, a Red Sox draft pick from 2021, has earned a quick path to the majors and joins the roster with a chance to help stabilize a relief corps that has been asked to cover plenty of ground.
Olds is lined up to make his major league debut against the Arizona Diamondbacks, a notable moment for a pitcher still taking his first step into MLB. To clear the roster spot, Raymond Burgos was sent back to Triple-A, another sign of how fluid Bostons bullpen picture has become while the team tries to manage bodies and innings at the same time. [Read more 🡒]
Red Sox Suddenly Face A Jahmai Jones Concern They Didnt Expect
Jahmai Jones had quickly become one of the more intriguing additions to Bostons mix, so his name appearing in the lineup against the Arizona Diamondbacks only to be removed later in the day was a jarring turn. The Red Sox had Jones penciled in before shifting Nick Sogard into the leadoff spot, an unexpected change for a player who had been giving the club something useful since joining the roster.
What makes the situation more notable is the silence around it. Boston has not offered an official explanation for Jones absence, leaving open the possibility of an injury issue or some other roster-related adjustment, and that uncertainty is the part worth watching as the Red Sox move forward. For a team trying to settle its lineup and keep momentum going, losing a productive piece without clarity is never ideal. [Read more 🡒]
Red Sox Suddenly Have One Huge Adley Rutschman Concern
Adley Rutschman arrived in Boston with the kind of rsum that usually gives a lineup credibility from the start, and the Red Sox knew they were getting much more than a warm body behind the plate. A three-time All-Star with above-league-average offensive numbers in his past, Rutschman has long been viewed as a catcher whose value comes from both his bat and his steadiness, which is why the early season has felt so jarring while he works back from injury.
The offensive results have not come close to matching that track record, and the concern in Boston is less about one bad week than whether the slow start lingers long enough to matter. Rutschman has said he is focused on sticking with his process and not making drastic changes, which is the right approach on paper, but it also leaves the Red Sox waiting for the version of him they expected to get in the first place. [Read more 🡒]
