The Orioles’ trip through Thursday night was a rough one from the start and only got uglier as the Yankees finished off a sweep at Camden Yards. Baltimore managed just five runs in the series, and the 6-1 loss left the Orioles at 61-67 while a familiar set of problems was on full display.
Kyle Bradish, the club’s top starter and the pitcher recently signed to a $100 million extension, again looked like a pitcher still trying to hold together a body that has already fought through elbow trouble and Tommy John surgery. He didn’t get much help from the defense behind him, either. In the third inning, Gunnar Henderson lost track of a routine throw from Jackson Holliday, and the inning spiraled from there as New York put up three runs and never let Baltimore back into the game.
That error fit a season-long theme for the Orioles, who added two more unearned runs to their league-leading total. It also fit the larger picture of a team that has been shaky in the field and uneven in every phase, even before Gerrit Cole took over on the mound. The former Cy Young winner controlled the Orioles’ lineup, and Baltimore struck out in double digits for the second straight night while producing just four hits.
“We just couldn’t get the big hit, and when we needed to get runners on base, we had a tough time doing that,” Albernaz said. “And you can’t give any big-league team extra outs. That’s what hurt us today.”
The offense has leaned hard on the home run all season, and that was again the only real source of damage in the series. Dylan Beavers homered off Cole for Baltimore’s lone run Thursday, his second solo shot in two days.
Coby Mayo hit a solo homer Tuesday, and Pete Alonso added a solo homer Wednesday, along with another apparent homer that was wiped out by a controversial call. Outside of that weekend burst in Tampa, the lineup has been painfully quiet since June 1.
The Orioles have scored three runs or fewer in nine of their 18 games this month, went 0-for-16 with runners in scoring position in the series, and finished with 14 hits across the three games.
Bradish’s night unraveled as the Yankees kept forcing him into traffic. He was already laboring early, needing 38 pitches just to get through one inning, and by the sixth he was well past 90 pitches after recording only 15 outs. Luis Garcia led off the frame with a homer, and rookie Spencer Jones followed with another blast that ended Bradish’s night with two outs.
Albernaz said Bradish had a role in staying in the game that long, pointing to the pitcher’s desire to help preserve the bullpen. “He wanted to save the pen,” Albernaz said, of a collection of largely journeymen who aren’t earning close to $100M collectively.
The concern around Bradish is bigger than one rough start. He has received Cy Young consideration before and has been solid in his first full season back from surgery, but he has never thrown even 170 innings in a season and now sits at 138 2/3, with his recent form slipping. Over his last five starts, he has thrown just 25 1/3 innings, allowed 32 hits, and posted a 4.62 ERA.
That workload has only sharpened the sense that Baltimore may need to rethink its rotation setup in the second half. Rookie starter Brandon Young is still in uncharted territory, Trevor Rogers has never gone a full MLB season without a minor league rehab assignment, and Chriss Bassitt is 36 and just back from a lengthy IL stint. A six-man rotation had already looked possible; now it feels even more necessary.
The Orioles have dropped four straight since their three-game sweep in Tampa, and the Rays are headed to Baltimore next. With the best team in the American League arriving, the Orioles are staring at another stretch that could push them deeper into the kind of slide they’ve been trying to avoid.
Bradish remains one of the most important players in the organization, but Thursday was another reminder that the Orioles’ margin is getting thinner. The starting pitching has kept them from falling too far behind in a weak American League, yet even that safety net appears to be fraying for a team that still can’t string quality baseball together for long.
“That’s on me,” Albernaz said.
In Other News...
Orioles Wild Card Push Now Rests On Three Unsettled Pieces
The Orioles are trying to make a late climb in a crowded American League Wild Card race, and the margin for error is getting thin with the club still four games under .500. For Baltimore, the path back into the conversation has started to look less like a broad team-wide surge and more like a few key players finding their footing at the right time, with Coby Mayo, Yennier Cano and Trevor Rogers each offering reasons for optimism.
Mayos recent power surge has given the lineup a needed jolt, Cano has settled in with effective relief work, and Rogers has looked sharper on the mound since June 1. If Baltimore is going to turn this into a real push, those are the kinds of developments that have to keep holding, because the Orioles are still waiting to see whether this stretch becomes a meaningful run or just a brief opening in a tight race. [Read more 🡒]
Orioles Bullpen Picture Just Got More Interesting Around Flix Bautista
Flix Bautista was back in the Orioles clubhouse for the first time this season, a notable step for a bullpen that has been waiting all year for its closer to re-enter the picture. Bautista is still on the 60-day injured list after surgery, but the fact that he is expected to begin a rehab assignment soon gives Baltimore a clearer sense of when one of its most important late-inning arms might start moving toward a return.
Luis De Lon is part of the conversation too, with the Orioles preparing the prospect for a possible major league bullpen role as they keep sorting through their pitching depth. Between that and a batch of minor league updates plus upcoming game starters, the organization is trying to balance the immediate need for innings with the longer view of how the bullpen could look once Bautista is back in the mix. [Read more 🡒]
Orioles Get Pulled Into Another Fair-Foul Mess With MLB
A replay review in the Yankees-Orioles game put the fair-foul debate back in the spotlight, this time after Pete Alonso sent a ball down the line and the original foul-ball ruling survived the challenge. For Baltimore, it was another reminder of how much these borderline calls can shape a game, especially when the broadcast angles and the leagues own replay process leave room for argument.
Chris Bassitt took issue with MLBs technology afterward, saying it still cannot conclusively settle fair-or-foul calls when the stakes are high. Alonso also raised questions about the use of Hawk-Eye in these situations, and the whole sequence left the kind of lingering uncertainty that tends to follow the Orioles from one replay controversy to the next. [Read more 🡒]
