Félix Bautista was back in the Orioles’ clubhouse Thursday for the first time this season, a welcome sight for a team that still sees him as a major piece once he’s ready to return.
Bautista is on the 60-day injured list after August 2025 surgery on his rotator cuff and labrum, and he’s expected to begin a rehab assignment in the coming days. The 6-foot-8 right-hander had already gone through a full roller coaster with Baltimore: he was the Reliever of the Year in 2023 after piling up 110 strikeouts in 61 innings and saving 33 games before an elbow injury in August 2023 led to Tommy John surgery.
He missed the entire 2024 season, then came back in 2025 to post 19 saves and 50 strikeouts in 34 2/3 innings before getting hurt again in July. Overall this season, he was 1-1 with a 2.60 ERA in 35 games.
“It’s great to have him around,” manager Craig Albernaz said. “Seeing that big smile, and also you always forget how massive of a human being he is, the physical presence.
“It’s good to have him around. It’s a sign of good things.
Just like all of our guys as they’re going through the rehab presence to come into Baltimore, check in, have everyone get eyes on them. He went outside and played catch.
“That’s why he’s here. We want to make sure he’s in a good spot. We’re supporting him and making sure he has everything he needs.”
The Orioles are also looking at another arm for the bullpen. Left-hander Luis De Léon, their No. 7 prospect, worked a scoreless inning of short relief for Triple-A Norfolk on Wednesday night, walking three and striking out two. Baltimore is getting him ready for a possible major league relief role, with the club hoping he can help down the stretch.
Right now, the Orioles are carrying two left-handers in Josh Walker and Grant Wolfram. They’ll be able to add another pitcher when rosters expand to 28 players on September 1.
De Léon was in Orioles camp until the final days of spring training, and he allowed one hit in 2 2/3 innings there while walking one and striking out two.
“I was extremely impressed with him,” Albernaz said. “Just his demeanor, especially for a young player, navigating his first big-league camp.
His first outing was electric. He had a great mound presence about him, pounded the strike zone.
He has elite stuff, a little funky arm angle, too.
“It’s keeping options open for us, but he’s an exciting young talent and a great kid.”
Norfolk’s night didn’t go as smoothly elsewhere. Juaron Watts-Brown gave up six runs on seven hits in 2 2/3 innings in a 7-0 loss to Nashville, and the Tides managed only five hits.
Heston Kjerstad collected three of them. Right-hander Nestor German, Baltimore’s No. 21 prospect, has been placed on the injured list.
The Orioles open a three-game set against the Tampa Bay Rays this weekend. Friday night’s matchup sends Trevor Rogers, 8-8 with a 4.15 ERA, against Freddy Peralta, 5-10 with a 5.27 ERA, in a game that will air exclusively on Apple TV.
Saturday features Brandon Young, 9-3 with a 3.52 ERA, against Shane McClanahan, 9-6 with a 3.25 ERA. Sunday’s starters are Shane Baz, 4-13 with a 4.02 ERA, and Nick Martinez, 12-4 with a 3.05 ERA.
Before that, the Orioles and Yankees were lined up as follows:
Orioles: Jackson Holliday at second, Pete Alonso at first, Gunnar Henderson at shortstop, Samuel Basallo at designated hitter, Christian Encarnacion-Strand at third, Dylan Beavers in left, Leody Taveras in right, Colton Cowser in center, Carlos Narváez behind the plate and Kyle Bradish on the mound.
Yankees: Trent Grisham in center, Ben Rice at DH, Luis Garcia Jr. at first, Heliot Ramos in left, Jazz Chisholm at second, George Lombard Jr. at short, Spencer Jones in right, Austin Wells catching, José Caballero at third and Will Warren pitching.
In Other News...
Orioles Wild Card Push Now Rests On Three Unsettled Pieces
The Orioles are trying to make a late climb in a crowded American League Wild Card race, and the margin for error is getting thin with the club still four games under .500. For Baltimore, the path back into the conversation has started to look less like a broad team-wide surge and more like a few key players finding their footing at the right time, with Coby Mayo, Yennier Cano and Trevor Rogers each offering reasons for optimism.
Mayos recent power surge has given the lineup a needed jolt, Cano has settled in with effective relief work, and Rogers has looked sharper on the mound since June 1. If Baltimore is going to turn this into a real push, those are the kinds of developments that have to keep holding, because the Orioles are still waiting to see whether this stretch becomes a meaningful run or just a brief opening in a tight race. [Read more 🡒]
Orioles Get Pulled Into Another Fair-Foul Mess With MLB
A replay review in the Yankees-Orioles game put the fair-foul debate back in the spotlight, this time after Pete Alonso sent a ball down the line and the original foul-ball ruling survived the challenge. For Baltimore, it was another reminder of how much these borderline calls can shape a game, especially when the broadcast angles and the leagues own replay process leave room for argument.
Chris Bassitt took issue with MLBs technology afterward, saying it still cannot conclusively settle fair-or-foul calls when the stakes are high. Alonso also raised questions about the use of Hawk-Eye in these situations, and the whole sequence left the kind of lingering uncertainty that tends to follow the Orioles from one replay controversy to the next. [Read more 🡒]
