Sean Payton Just Handed Falcons Fans A New Reason To Be Furious

Deck: Sean Payton stirs the pot again with a quip about the Falcons attendance following the Broncos' dominant preseason performance.

Sean Payton found another way to steal the conversation in Atlanta, and this time it came with a live mic and a crowd shot.

After the Broncos’ 27-7 preseason win over the Falcons on Friday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Payton didn’t settle for a polite halftime answer when 9News sideline reporter Cynthia Frelund noted his success in Atlanta. Instead, he delivered the line that traveled everywhere: “There’s a lot of people dressed up as empty seats today.”

The comment landed because the visuals backed it up. Denver had already raced to a 24-0 halftime lead, helped by rookie defensive back Jahdae Barron’s 97-yard pick-six, while television coverage showed plenty of open space in the lower bowl. The Falcons’ official attendance was listed at 68,183 in a stadium that seats about 71,000, a figure that counts tickets sold rather than every seat occupied by the second half.

Payton’s jab was the kind of unscripted moment that fits his public persona almost too neatly. He’s not exactly hiding what he thinks, and he didn’t start Friday.

The response was clipped and sharp, and it spread quickly after NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport posted it on X. The Denver Post’s Troy Renck and Parker Gabriel also picked it up, with the reaction helping turn a preseason halftime hit into the night’s most replayed moment.

There’s also history behind why the line hit so cleanly. Payton spent 15 seasons coaching the Saints, and for much of that time the Falcons-Saints matchup was the NFC South’s biggest grudge game.

Multiple outlets, including Yahoo Sports, have his record against Atlanta at 22-9, with an 11-4 mark in Atlanta. Those numbers don’t change because this was preseason, but they do explain why a setup question about his success in the building gave him an opening to go right at the home crowd.

And if the remark sounded familiar, that’s because Payton has already made headlines for talking too freely. In July 2023, shortly after taking over in Denver, he told USA Today that Nathaniel Hackett’s 2022 season with the Broncos was “one of the worst coaching jobs in the history of the NFL.” Aaron Rodgers fired back, saying, “I thought it was way out of line, inappropriate, and I think he needs to keep my coaches’ names out of his mouth,” and Payton later admitted the comments were “a mistake” and said he needed “a little bit more filter,” according to CBS Sports.

This latest shot was smaller in scale, but it fits the same mold: Payton says the pointed thing, not the safe thing, and he does it where everybody can hear it.

Atlanta won’t be back at Mercedes-Benz Stadium until the regular-season home opener on Sept. 20 against Carolina. The Broncos and Falcons won’t see each other again in the regular season, so the score and the comment will live on mainly as a clip. For Payton, though, that may be the point.

In Other News...

Falcons Draft Fallout Suddenly Looks Even Worse Than Expected

Atlantas 2025 draft class has already taken enough hits to make the early returns look shaky, and the fallout has only gotten messier. Jalon Walker and Billy Bowman Jr. have dealt with injuries, Jack Nelson is gone, and James Pearce Jr. is now on suspension, leaving the Falcons with a rookie group that has struggled to stay intact long enough to justify the investment.

The bigger problem is that the Pearce trade carried a future cost, too. Atlanta sent its 2026 first-round pick to the Rams to land him, and with Pearce and Walker both expected to be out for much of 2026, the organization is left weighing not just what went wrong with the class it drafted, but what it gave up to chase it. [Read more 🡒]

Falcons QB Battle Just Took A Turn Few Fans Expected

The Falcons preseason opener offered a small but noticeable shift in the quarterback conversation behind the top of the depth chart. After Tua Tagovailoa played, Cooper Rush and Jack Strand both got their turn, with Rush enduring an uneven night and Strand making a quieter but more encouraging impression. Rush finished 7 of 19 through the air with two interceptions, while Strand completed 6 of 12 passes and showed enough poise to keep himself in the mix.

Strand also added a rushing score, which only helps when coaches are sorting out the third-string job. For a roster spot that can hinge on a handful of preseason snaps, those moments matter, and this one seemed to tilt the evaluation in his favor. The competition is still open, but Strands performance gave Atlanta something to think about after a game that did not go smoothly for Rush. [Read more 🡒]