The Falcons are shifting into a big evaluation stretch this week, with joint practices against the Indianapolis Colts set for Wednesday and Thursday after Friday night’s preseason game against Denver.
Head coach Kevin Stefanski said the work against Indianapolis should give Atlanta a full dose of the kind of reps camp is built around.
“A lot of situational football will get accomplished,” Stefanski said. “We’ll get a lot of reps for our starters.
A lot of football to get practiced. You get to do one-on-ones against players who you don’t have a book on.
For the football team, just to be exposed to different schemes I think will be important.”
One of the biggest personnel stories surrounding camp is the rise of Cameron Sample, the new defensive end and Shiloh High School product who is now expected to take on a bigger role in the pass rush. That opportunity comes after Jalon Walker was ruled out for the year and James Pearce Jr. was suspended for the Falcons’ first eight games.
Sample didn’t sound interested in easing into the moment.
“It’s kill or be killed,” Sample said. “Y’all will get to know me.
I’m a good personality guy and joke around a lot, but between the white lines it’s war. My approach to the game isn’t different.
I prepare to be the starter every week. That’s my mindset, I want to learn the playbook.
I want the team to be able to count on me 15 snaps or 65.”
Atlanta is also dealing with Pearce’s absence after he led the team in pass rushing last year. Stefanski said the team is staying aligned with the league’s process as the suspension plays out.
“I’m very comfortable in us sticking to the process, including what the league is doing in this case,” Stefanski said. “I’ll make sure we’re in total compliance with those types of things. James, for his part on this football team, has done everything that I’ve asked him to do, everything his coaches have asked him to do, and we’ll just continue to follow the protocols and everything that’s in place from the league.”
There’s still no rush to settle the quarterback picture, either. Stefanski said Michael Penix Jr. will remain limited to 7-on-7 work in Indianapolis, while Falcons starters are expected to handle most of the practice snaps without taking part in the joint practice game.
In Other News...
Falcons QB Picture Just Got More Complicated After Jack Strands Debut
The Falcons added former Pro Bowl edge rusher Za'Darius Smith, but the bigger subplot coming out of their preseason game against the Broncos was under center. Atlanta did not get much from its quarterbacks overall, yet undrafted rookie Jack Strand was the one who came away with the best showing among the group in his NFL debut, giving the team at least one unexpected name to keep in the conversation.
Strands performance was modest on the stat sheet, but the broader takeaway was that he handled the moment well enough to draw notice from Kevin Stefanski, who liked the rookies attitude and sees something to build on. With Michael Penix still in the mix as a potential starter once healthy, the Falcons suddenly have a quarterback picture that feels a little less settled than it did a week ago. [Read more 🡒]
Falcons Roster Battle Just Got Real In Joint Practices With Colts
The Falcons moved straight from a preseason loss to Denver into joint practices with the Colts, and the timing gives the next few days a different kind of urgency. These sessions are less about the scoreboard than about sorting out the roster, with Atlanta using the work against Indianapolis to sharpen its preparation for the regular season opener while giving coaches a better look at players fighting for roles.
That puts a few names squarely in the spotlight, including linebacker Josh Woods, wide receiver Vinny Anthony II, offensive lineman Kam Dewberry, safety Jammie Robinson and quarterback Jack Strand. For all of them, the Colts work is a chance to make a stronger case on the depth chart, and the Falcons will come away with a clearer sense of where the competition stands once the practices are over. [Read more 🡒]
Jack Strand Hype Is Creating A Falcons Debate Fans Need
Jack Strands first preseason outing gave Falcons fans a little jolt at a position that has been under a microscope all summer. The undrafted rookie looked steady enough to keep his name in the conversation for the QB3 job, and in a camp shaped by injuries at the top of the depth chart, that alone has been enough to spark a bigger discussion about what he might become.
The temptation is obvious in Atlanta, where any encouraging quarterback glimpse can get wrapped in long-term hope pretty quickly. But Strand still profiles as a developmental project more than an answer to the franchises bigger questions, and the safer read right now is that his rise is about earning a role, not redefining the position room. [Read more 🡒]
