Arkansas Suddenly Has A Tough Tight End Problem To Solve

Arkansas Razorbacks face a challenging season with key player setbacks, including the loss of tight end Maddox Lassiter to injury.

Arkansas will have to move forward without one of its most versatile veterans this fall.

Redshirt junior tight end Maddox Lassiter is out for the 2026 season after suffering an undisclosed injury that required surgery, Ryan Silverfield said after the Razorbacks’ first scrimmage. Silverfield didn’t hide how much Lassiter meant to the plan before the setback.

“Maddox Lassiter, unfortunately, is out for the season," Silverfield said during his Sunday press conference. "He has been absolutely phenomenal.

We actually though he was going to have a very significant role for us at an extremely high level. He’s a tough young man that got hurt during practice.”

Lassiter’s path has been anything but ordinary. The 6-foot-3, 248-pound Arkansas player signed as a former preferred walk-on in the 2023 class and has spent his college career moving all over the formation. He has lined up as a blocking tight end, H-Back, fullback and is now listed primarily at tight end.

He’s been a steady presence in the Razorbacks’ two-deep over the last couple of seasons, with two starts in 25 career appearances. His role on offense kept growing, but a lot of his work still came on special teams.

The stat line won’t jump off the page - five total tackles on special teams last season and one catch for three yards - but Lassiter’s value showed up in the dirty work. That made him a fan favorite out of Warren.

Arkansas also held out Memphis transfer running back Sutton Smith from Sunday’s scrimmage because of a lower leg injury, though Silverfield said there’s no concern about his status for the opener.

“I’ve been holding Sutton Smith (out) with communication with the doctors and our medical staff," Silverfield said. "He has a lower leg injury, but I have no doubts in my mind that he’ll be full go (for the season opener).”

Smith was a major part of Memphis’ offense last season, piling up 1,058 yards and eight total touchdowns in 2025. He also missed most of the 2024 season after tearing his ACL against North Alabama.

Silverfield’s decision to keep Smith out of the scrimmage looks more like caution than alarm, with the goal of making sure he’s ready when the season begins.

The Razorbacks also previously said punter Connor Smith and JUCO defensive end J’Lynn Allen, originally from North Little Rock, will be out for the season.

Arkansas opens the 2026 season at CommunityAmerica Razorback Stadium on Sept. 5 at 3:15 p.m. CT, with the game set for national television on the SEC Network.

In Other News...

Arkansas Quarterback Battle Just Got More Concerning After Saturday

The quarterback competition in Fayetteville is still very much open, and Saturdays practice did little to calm anyones nerves. KJ Jackson and AJ Hill are the two players battling for the job, and both turned in stretches that made it clear the staff still has work to do before naming a starter. Coach Mitch Stewart has been consistent about one thing: the position will be won, not handed out.

What stood out most was the lack of separation. Both quarterbacks put several throws in the wrong place, and Jacksons inconsistency on routine passes was especially noticeable during the session. For Arkansas, the concern is not just who gets the job, but whether either player can seize it cleanly enough to settle the race before the season starts. [Read more 🡒]

Arkansas QB Battle Just Took A Tense Turn In Scrimmage

The quarterback competition in Fayetteville is still moving the same way it has for much of camp, only now the clock is getting louder. Ryan Silverfield said the starting job has not been settled yet with 20 days left before the season opener, and a recent scrimmage did little to create a clear favorite as multiple passers kept the offense on schedule.

KJ Jackson, AJ Hill, Hank Hendrix, Braeden Fuller and Cade Trotter all helped lead scoring drives, but none of them has managed to pull away. Chris Marshall said he feels good about the room no matter who gets the nod, which is a helpful sign for the offense, even if the staff still has a decision hanging over it as game week gets closer. [Read more 🡒]